Palos Verdes Golf Club was built as part of the Palos Verdes Project beginning in 1921. New York banker Frank Vanderlip took control of the Project in 1923. The Project was the first development on the Palos Verdes Peninsula and included homes, the golf course, tennis club, beach club and riding stables. The clubhouse was one of the first buildings built on the Peninsula. The golf course opened on November 15, 1924.
The golf course was designed and built by the renowned team of William P. “Billy” Bell and George C. Thomas and is an example of the “Golden Age” of golf course design. Other designs by Bell and Thomas include Riveria Country Club, the North Course at Los Angeles Country Club, and Bell-Aire Country Club. In recent years, restoration and design improvements have been overseen by golf course architect Todd Ekenrode, who has also done renovations at courses such as Brentwood Country Club, Hacienda Golf Club, Hillcrest Country Club and Virginia Country Club.